The Edmonton Comic and Entertainment Expo (2013 edition)

My people have a big tent. We include all--it doesn’t matter if you’re a geek, nerd, otaku, brony/pegasister, LARPer, fanboy/girl, gamer, furry, Browncoat, or Trekker. It doesn’t matter what the colour of your skin is, how many eyes you have, or whether you wield magic. We come in all shapes and sizes. Our tent is so big, we’ll accept you if you’re a mundane, a muggle, or a jock (using Chris Hardwick’s definition of “nerd”).

The diversity of my people was clearly apparent at the Edmonton Expo over the weekend. It was many kinds of awesomeness: sitting in the Delorean time machine, meeting Christopher Lloyd, getting autographs from and going to a panel with two MLP:FiM voice actors (squee!). I got a sketch by Tom Grummett, once of my favourite pencilers. The last time I got a sketch from him was in 1992, when Edmonton had a very small proto-con. Back then, a sketch cost $20--now, it was only $25. What a deal!)

(I was lucky enough to get a bag of Expo merchandise, including an Edmonton Expo pin, water bottle, and shoulder-strap bag. If you would like to win this, leave a comment below describing your particular brand of nerdliness. I will pick one commenter on Monday, October 7 at noon, and after successfully answering a skill-testing question, that person will be the proud owner of some cool swag.)


Why aren’t you studying?

8 comments:

Anastasia said...
on

I was there too! I didn't get a picture with the DeLorean this time because I got one at the Calgary expo. If I had a lot of money I would buy a flux capacitor-equipped DeLorean. I would go back in time a few hundred years and establish a giraffe breeding facility. The facility would breed smaller and smaller giraffes together so that after a few hundred years of breeding we could end up with miniature lap giraffes. Naturally, the benefits of miniature lap giraffes existing in our world are countless. Therefore, as you can see, my brand of nerdliness is aimed at making the world a better place.

...I also like Batman.

Unknown said...
on

I absolutely wish I went! I would say my nerdliness would be browncoat, but they ended the series too quickly. First and foremost I would classify myself as a Whovian (Doctor Who, not a character from a Dr. Suess book). ...plus a little bit of Fringe (I believe there's no nickname).

Unknown said...
on

I wish I was able to go as well Elita! I am no doubt a video game nerd. I have played Nintendo ever since I was four years old; my older sister would help me with the on-screen text and dialogue. My biggest nerd obsession is with The Legend of Zelda series. I have played many of the games several times over, made music videos using the cut screens and my favourite songs, and I have some nerdy clothing haha. Most of all though, my sister and I went to Florida to see the 25th anniversary LoZ concert last year, couldn't miss it! Wind Waker HD comes out today, so that will answer your question of "why aren't you studying?" Haha.

Unknown said...
on

Whovian, Browncoat and Marvel-er? (except Spiderman -- he sucks) reporting in. I really wish I could have gone to the expo, but I'm hoping that I can get to PAX next year!

Unknown said...
on

Also @Andrea Whittaker, did you know that the Jubilee is hosting a LoZ concert next year? (or this year, it's sometime soon!) We should go!

Karsten A. Loepelmann said...
on

After consulting with random.org and asking it to generate a random number from 1-4 (one for each participant), the answer is: 4.

Congrats to Timo who will receive my swag after answering a skill-testing question, and thanks to everyone else who shared their nerdiness!

Unknown said...
on

Congrats on winning the swag Timo! And I would love to go again, I think they are doing a special second round with new songs, it would be awesome!

Dua Frey said...
on

Your thhe best

Find It