The Coffee

When I went to high school, it wasn't cool to drink coffee. Coffee was dark, scary, and bitter. Sure, my family would have Kaffeezeit ("coffee time") on the weekends, but I was just in it for the Kuchen.

When I started university, I drank a cup of tea with milk and sugar every single morning. Even though I had a lot of 8:00 classes (because they were good classes only offered at that time, that's why), one cup of English breakfast tea was all the caffeine I needed. Some of my friends became desperate around exam time, and dipped into the go-juice. It was hilarious to watch as the normally non-caffeine consumers' eyes got really big after having a big cuppa joe. Then, they'd study like the dickens. This proved that coffee was a dangerous, dangerous substance.

Then, I started graduate school. Sure, getting a graduate degree is pretty demanding. Maybe I'd have an extra cup of tea once in a while. But the sheer, stark terror of almost having to go into the Real World was enough stimulus for me--no coffee, thanks. Maybe just a bit more sugar.

Then, one term I was Dr. Dawson's teaching assistant. He made me come to the class (I dunno, to learn something I guess); because he was on my supervisory committee, it's not like I could say no or anything. The first day of class, I met him at his office and we went to the class together. But not before he poured himself a cup of freshly made French-pressed coffee. And then he insisted on giving me a cup. It's not like I could say no or anything. The worst thing was that the coffee was: black. As black as night. No milk, and certainly no sugar (isn't that freebasing?). After that, I brought my own mug and poured sugar into it first--milk was too conspicuous.

Now, I'm neither a connoisseur (yes, I drink instant--please forgive me), nor a coffee-hound. Usually, I get by with only one cup of coffee. But if I've had a bad sleep (which does happen), you'll see me toting a cup from one of the fine local purveyors. Not my usual mug-o-water; not tea; not vodka. I have gone over to the dark side. With lots of milk and sugar.

Why aren't you studying?

7 comments:

Anastasia said...
on

Yes, you clearly had no choice in the matter.

I am not a fan of coffee, but I love coffee mugs - the ones with lids on them. I also love how, because no one can actually see what's inside, everyone just assumes you are either drinking coffee or tea. No one would ever suspect that you could be sipping on a nice Merlot whilst your professor trudges on about Nietzsche or Lacan. (Not that I have ever done such a thing.)

Amanda said...
on

BBC just listed an article entitled, "The Science of Optical Illusions". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11553099
I thought you might like it! It might be interesting to add to your lectures for PSYCO365/267.

Karsten A. Loepelmann said...
on

@Anastasia, @Amanda: Thanks for the great suggestions from you both. I may just implement them both...;-)

Anonymous said...
on

i prefer my coffee very strongly spiked. and then i take a sip every time dr. poepelmann says "perception", "retina", or "brain".

Anonymous said...
on

i prefer my coffee very strongly spiked. and then i take a sip every time dr. loepelmann says "perception", "retina", or "brain".

Karsten A. Loepelmann said...
on

@Anonymous: Ok, that's it--I didn't even use any of those words in this post, but there you are, double-posting, misspelling my name... You're cut off.

Anonymous said...
on

Black coffee all the way.

Find It